19.8.10

Small, tiny, world...

I just sent the below Facebook message to several girlfriends from high school...


So you know (or maybe not) I live in MS part of the year, France part of the year and London for a little in the summer....I'm back in MS for a few months until I move back to France in Feb. I was walking up the stairs to my office this morning and heard someone say, "well look who it is...."

I looked up and there was this guy standing there, on the landing halfway between the 3rd and 4th floors (my office is on the 4th) looking at me.

"Hiiii, how you doing?" I said, as I continued to go up the stairs - it was one of those, "clearly he made a mistake, he thinks I'm someone else, but I'm not going to make him feel like and ass, so I'll just say hi and go on". Because I didn't know him.

But then I stopped and did a double take - wait - I knew him.

No I didn't.

Yes I did.

No, he just looks familiar...

You can imagine my face going back and forth like this...I acted as "normal" as possible as he walked up the stairs with me, and I asked questions like, "what are you doing here...are you planning to study abroad....again"? The whole time trying to place what part of my life I knew this random dude from! I thought, "did he go to the Abbey with me as a student in 2004?", no, I don't remember him from there..."did he go to HIGH SCHOOL with me?" Nooooo....that's not possible, why would anyone from my high school be here in Hattiesburg, MS? That's too random, think smaller Jess....the whole time he's talking I'm hearing only bits and pieces of what he's saying because I'm starting to feel like I should know him and it's been a really long time, and if I can't place him soon it's going to drive me crazy.

So anyway...I learned from those few minutes that he was just starting his degree here, he had filled out one of our interest cards but no one ever got back to him so he was in our office yesterday to see Dr. Steen (my Director) about a Fulbright Scholarship to study abroad, and noticed my name on the wall (outside my office) and thought, "it can't be the same Jessica Lamb..."

What does THAT mean?

He left, and I sat down at my desk going INSANE! I told my colleague about it, she asked "Jessica, why the HELL didn't you ask him his name?"

BECAAAAAAUSE something told me I was supposed to know him and that I COULDN'T ask his name because that would have been so insulting and show just how awful a memory I have....

He came back....he said, "I just wondered when a good time would be to catch up on old times...."

"Well, why don't you just come on in right now! Let's catch up! And since you already mentioned you gave us your information and we didn't contact you, go ahead and fill out another form and I'll put you on our list RIGHT NOW"

"Sure, I can do that - what information do you want?"

"Full name, ID#, email address...."

"Alright. So, how's your dad?"

WHAT?? This dude knows my dad....WHERE do I KNOW him from!?!?!?

He finished filling out the card and I checked out his name....

EDWAND RIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's when I started to FREAK OUT.

Then I came clean, I was like, HOLY CRAP EDWAND WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? I KNEW I KNEW YOU BUT I COULDN'T REMEMBER AND NOW EVERYTHING IS RUSHING BACK TO ME, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE????

You guys....I feel like I'm having an out of body experience. He asked me if I keep in touch with anyone, I told him only what I know from my own facebook stalking....IT WAS CRAZY!

So now Ed goes to college at USM - random.

Just had to share this moment with you guys, hope it was entertaining for you too.

Much love!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica...I love your blog. I am following you on my blog now...I just felt the need to tell you that I am keeping up with what is going on in your world. I miss seeing you on campus. Glad you are still there and loving what you do. Love Erin Rust Munton

    ReplyDelete